This Week: Stores for Style.

I love decorating, I love fixing my home, and I really enjoy making it cozy. I think the coziness factor is most important in a home. I don’t care if the furniture’s are new, old or beaten up. In my opinion beaten up furniture’s can actually be quite charming, shabby chic, with loads of personality.
Now, what I am looking for in a home is the atmosphere, the feeling you get once you have stepped over the threshold. I think you can catch the atmosphere almost immediately when entering a home.

Right now I feel like I am stuck in a rut in my own home, I would love to change some things around. I don’t know what’s stopping me, but I think it is the lack of ideas.
Number one: I want new curtains, and a new rug for the living room. Oh, and with that comes new pillows for the couches. I would also like to replace the art work on the walls.
My problem room: the MBR


One problem room in my home has always been the master bedroom. I love it, but I have never really got the 100% coziness factor going in there. It is almost 4 meters up to the ceiling (cathedral ceiling), and that does cause a problem.
I don’t like the furniture’s in there either. At all. Boring.

My kitchen
My favorite room in the house is probably my kitchen. That is where I usually hang out; the kitchen is where I do all my blogging from, for example. Good for you all to know, huh? ;-). The kitchen is also where I get stuck when we throw our parties. Annika’s always in the darn kitchen. Oh well, that is the way it is. Sure, there are things that I am not super-happy with in regarding my kitchen either, like the counter tops and the cabinets, but at least it is cozy in there. Especially at night.

The Northern Europeans in this country can have a hard time finding the right kind of style and furniture’. If the American traditional style is not your thing it can be quite hard finding a more contemporary style. Below I have listed the stores that I love, and that I would recommend to Scandinavians and other interested alike:

IKEA:
Ah, but of course!!! LOVE IKEA! Who doesn’t!!! There you can get stylish furniture’s, and almost everything else you’ll need in a home. Yes candles, too ( ;-)))) for a good price. PLUS, you can get groceries there as well. What’s not to love? Sure, you’re bound to get into fights with your Significant Other when it is time to assemble the furniture’s, but what the heck! Also, you will more than likely fight with your SO while walking the store as well. Arguments do happen easily at IKEA. But it is till the best!

Crate and Barrel:
This store is definitely the store for you if you are into Scandinavian style. Stylish furniture’s, expensive. I am trying to visit Crate and Barrel at least once every two months. Their glass ware is fantastic!

Pottery Barn:
Yes, yes…What is not to love in that store? Every time you walk in you will find something extremely appealing. I love their rugs, curtains and style in general. More traditional than Crate and Barrel.

West Elm:
Very contemporary, very stylish, and very sleek! I really, really like the store. Good place to pick up accessories, and cool lamps and shelves.

Bo Concept:
Same idea as West Elm. Sleek, modern and stylish. Danish company. I am trying to visit Bo Concept every time I visit the Tysons Galleria.

World Market:
For us Scandinavians I think we can compare it to “Indiska”, Oriental style. You will find lots of good curtains, towels, glass ware, table linens, and even food and wine at said store. See, you cannot miss out at World Market.

Pier One:
Nicely priced store. I go there to pick up vases, bowls and knick-knacks for the garden.

Target:
But of course. Target is a wonderful store where you can get almost everything under the sun. They have great designers working for them, and it shows everywhere, in every department. Here you’ll find very good prices for furniture’s, small appliances, candles etc.

Maybe I forgot a good store, or two? Please feel free to add to the list. But this is some of my favorite stores, which suit my style around the DC area.

Some more:


Here is a picture from the other side of the MBR. To the left is a fire-place (never in use) and to the left is also a balcony. A hard room to decorate, indeed...

Health Update:
Karolina and I just got back from the doctor's office. We are both sick. It is not the influenza, but a nasty cold. Now I am under the weather as well. Achy, head ache, a fever and a soar throat. Next stop: the couch in the living-room.
Before we went to the doctor we were both konked out watching Teletubbie's. Now, that should tell you something of our condition.Stay well out there!!!

Comments

Fia said…
Hm...ok...sÄ nu har du gjort ett "hemma-hos"...dÄ mÄste vÀl jag göra det snart ocksÄ...

"sÀtter pÄ mig mrs-fix-it-hat"

Sovrummet..ta en bra bild pÄ din dotter och skicka ivÀg den till det företag som gör sÄdana dÀr bilder som Andy Warhol gjorde pÄ Marilyn Monroe. BestÀll tre stycken ganska stora i klara fÀrger och hÀng ovanför sÀngen. Eller ett svartvitt foto, förstora rejÀlt och hÀng över sÀngen. Ingen ram. Kram!
Annika said…
Fia:
Det var ingen DUM ide det dÀr med Andy Warhol. DET tÄl att tÀnkas pÄ!!! Absolut!

Du, vi ska satsa pÄ ett riktigt hemma-hos snart, eller hur???
Kram!!
Fia said…
Det ska vi sÄ snart jag Àr klar med att vara ett nervöst vrak...se min blogg....KRAM!
Anonymous said…
Men varför finns ingen av de dÀr hÀrliga affÀrerna i Kanada (förutom IKEA, fast det nÀrmaste ligger tre timmar hÀrifrÄn)? SUCK!
Köket ser ju verkligen hur mysigt (och stort!) ut som helst och Fias idé med Andy Warhol-tavlorna Àr hur cool som helst!
kram pÄ dig!
Keith said…
I can't really give you any tips or ideas on the rooms or stores, but do know what you mean about getting tired of the same old. For instance, the carpet in my apartment looks very tired and I'd like to replace that with a wood floor. And I can do other things to give the whole place some personality without going too crazy.
Annika said…
Fia:
Jo, du verkar ha fullt upp nu!!!

Ida:
Tre timmar till IKEA Àr inte sÄ himla kul. Skulle önska er lite roligare affÀrer.
Tack! Köket Àr rÀtt sÄ stort. Trivs bra dÀr!
Kramis!

Keith:
Yes, that would be nice if you installed hard woods in your condo. And it is not hard to spruce up a place with hew curtains, pillows and area rugs.
Anonymous said…
sovrummet: se bild.
http://lovethecountry.blogspot.com/2007/01/vrens-frger-hos-laura-ashley.html
:) jag veeeet, lite vÀl romantiskt,
men man kan ju anvÀnda andra fÀrger..
JaCal said…
High ceilings are great and sooo hard to do something with at the same time. We have 5,20 m in the living room, and no matter what I try I just can't get it cozy. It got a bit better when I got a "scene light" from IKEA with which I can project light images on one of the big, high walls. A little better with high plants that work with the height of the room... but it's so hard... Next house I wouldn't actually mind if it wasn't any high ceilings.

Lucky you with a white kitchen... I hate my traditional, yellow-orange oak cabinet doors, and the ugly white square tile. But it redecorate - oh, so much money...

Thanks for sharing your stores - great choices!! My favorites too. I visit them all well, West Elm only online. And now I've added BoConcept - didn't know you find that store in the US! No store close to me (seems I have to make a trip to the Tysons Galleria).
Anonymous said…
Gillar underklÀderna pÄ dörrhandtaget!!! Wow, jag skrev ett lÄngt inlÀgg men det försvann i cyber rymden.
Anonymous said…
Du har mÄnga fÀrger, blÄtt, rött, vitt, trÀfÀrgat. Kanske Àndra och dra ned pÄ fÀrgskalan. Chokladbrun fondvÀgg skulle vara snyggt. Stora vÀxter kan göra susen. Det verkar som du behöver mer förvaringsmöbler? Kanske en snygg sÀnggavel? Men jag vet hur det Àr. Jag tÀnker stÀndigt pÄ hur mitt hem kan bli finare, mysigare osv.
Annika said…
Leopardia:
Den bloggen ska jag genast kolla!! Àr inte sÄ jÀtteintressad av Laura Ashely, men hey, det kan sÀkert vara ursnyggt!

Jacal:
It is so damn hard with the high ceilings. Makes it super hard to decorate.
I've painted the cabinets white myself. A pain, but so worth it!
Bo concept is a great store! With lots of fun stuff!!!

Susanna:
Handtaget Àr perfekt nÀr man ska torka sina b-h:ar...Hi, hi!!!
Nejm tror inte vi ids mÄla om fondvÀggen igen. Det var inte sÄ lÀnge sen vi mÄlade den vÀggen. Förvaring Àr ett mÄste, och ja det Àr ngt som behövs. Som du ser Àr den bokhyllan sgs smockad med böcker! LikasÄ med bokhyllorna i kÀllaren och i vardagsrummet. Men, det Àr OK.
SÀnggavel finns pÄ den gamla ikea-sÀngen Àven om den inte syns pÄ bilden.
Ett svÄrt rum...Borde lÀgga ut bilder pÄ den andra halvan ocksÄ...
Anonymous said…
Ohhh va kul! Nu har jag börjat mĂ„la om i ditt sovrum :-). Hemma har jag mĂ„lat en fondvĂ€gg bakom sĂ€ngen men jag har inte mĂ„lat hela vĂ€gen upp i taket och inte heller ut i kanterna. Jag har sĂ„ att sĂ€ga "ramat" in sĂ€ngen med fondvĂ€ggen. Tror det hade fungerat för dig ocksĂ„. Är din man eller du duktig pĂ„ att bygga? I gĂ€strummet har vi byggt en förvaringsmöbel runt sĂ€ngen och inne i "gattet" har jag satt en tapet.... NÀÀÀÀ det hĂ€r var svĂ„rt att förklara, jag tror jag fĂ„r fotografera och skicka till dig! Om du vill ha tips alltsĂ„?

Dörrhandtag Àr bra :-)
Anonymous said…
Allra först: krya pÄ er!
Superroligt se lite bilder frÄn ery hem. Vad stort ni verkar bo. MBR ser enormt ut. Och ljust, mycket fönster. Och högt i tak. Morr morr vÄga bara gnÀlla över högt tak, ni som har det... *vill ocksÄ ha* Köket ser inbjudande ut, hög mysfaktor dÀr. FrÀscht ocksÄ med de vita luckorna.
Tusen tack för en massa bra tips pÄ inredningsaffÀrer, de flesta Àr ocksÄ mina favoriter men du rÀknade upp nÄgra som var helt nya för mig.
Mie said…
Åh sĂ„ mysigt ni har det! Jag vill definitivt byta kök med dig;-) Tack för titten!
Jag hoppas verkligen att ni snart kryar pÄ er!
Och du, hipp hipp hurra! Jag Àr snart över strecket men inte riktigt Ànnu;-)
Kram
Anne-Marie said…
Du har verkligen ett mysigt hem! Att ha högt i tak kan ju vara ett problem med tanke pÄ inredning osv men samtidigt Àr det nÄgot vÀldigt speciellt med höga tak. Jag antar att du kan besöka de flesta affÀrerna. Jag saknar det och fÄr nöja mig med internetshopping.
Anonymous said…
SvÄrmöblerat sovrum. Verkligen! Men först och frÀmst BORT med bokhyllan! BORT! Vad gör den i sovrummet? Och IN med ett förvaringsskÄp. Alla prylar som myllrar omkring BORT. Jag skulle bli stressad av att ha sÄ mycket saker överallt.

Det verkar inte som om du kan ha sÀngen pÄ nÄgot annat sÀtt Àn just dÀr heller. Verkligen knepigt. Men definitivt ser jag ett stort och rymligt skÄp i hörnan bakom dörren. Med en enorm krukvÀxt ovanpÄ.
Annika said…
Tina:
Du fÄr jÀttegÀrna skicka bild pÄ ert mÄlade sovrum till mig. Blir mkt nyfiken. Nej, tyvÀrr, vi Àr inte hÀndiga. Tycker ditt sovrum lÄter mkt intressant!


Anne:
Vad roligt att du fick lite tips pÄ nya inredningsaffÀrer.
Nej, jag kan förstÄ att det lÄter som gnÀll nÀr vi klagar över vÄra höga tak :-). Men lÀtt Àr det inte.
Nu har jag ju fÄtt en del tips hÀr, och det Àr bra. Ska bli kul nÀr du lÀgger ut bilder pÄ ditt radhus sen!!!

Mie:
Men absolut! VarsÄgod! Kul att du tittade in.
MĂ„r inte bra. har inte mĂ„tt s¨hĂ€r pissigt pĂ„ flera Ă„r. Influensa, utan tvekan.

A-M:
Jag vet att du mest fÄr shoppa över internet. Som tur Àr kan man ju shoppa frÄn samtliga affÀrer jag listade.
TACK för att du tycker vi har det mysigt.

Matilda:
Visst Àr det svÄrmöblerat. Det Àr sant att platsen dÀr sÀngen stÄr Àr den enda vettiga. Lite trist.
JassÄ, du tycker det Àr för mkt grejjer ;-)
Det tycker jag ocksÄ!!! Din ide med ett ordentligt skÄp i hörnet Àr alls inte dum. Den tÀnker jag ta fasta pÄ.
Jag har sÄ mkt böcker i sovrummet, i kÀllaren, i förrÄdet och i v-rummet. Men jag vill inte göra mig av med böckerna heller. Sparar dom inför ett framtida bibliotek.
JemayĂĄ said…
Vad skojigt att se hur det ser ut hemma hos dig!! Ska titta lite noggrannare en annan gÄng (hör att D "kvittrar" nere med mommo, dvs Àr mycket vaken och hÄlls sÀkert inte lÀnge mera i vagnen!), ville bara tipsa om Inno: http://www.nelonen.fi/inno/jakso088/default.htm, jag tycker det Àr ett jÀttetrevligt inredningsprogram hÀr...ajjo, men du kan kanske inte finska :(? Kom bara att tÀnka pÄ: sÀngen kunde kanske höjas (de gjorde det i ett program, kan försöka hitta det Ät dig, tror de gjorde nÄgon sorts "plattform"). Jag tyckte om att ha ett stort fÀrggrant sÀngtÀcke (frÄn Goa) pÄ vÀggen bakom sÀngen i min förra bostad. Kanske ett stort tygstycke/sÀngtÀcke pÄ vÀggen i rÀtta fÀrger kan mjuka upp rummet? Tycker ocksÄ att bokhyllan borde bort - trevlig lampa istÀllet? Köket ser sÄ svenskt ut :), inbjudande! ps. Jag gillar ocksÄ inredning :).
Annika said…
Jemaya:
Nej, tyvĂ€rr. Kan ingen finska. LĂ„ter som ett intressant program. Älskar inredningsprogram.
Jo, bokhyllan borde nog bort. Den ger ett rörigt intryck.
Kul att du gillar köket :-))
Anonymous said…
Your house IS cozy & inviting, don't worry. The master bedroom looks like it needs a major make over with some emphasis on the bedroom fireplace, a luxury item rarely found these days. How about some bright colors? A headboard made of draped curtains to match the bedspread?
Anyway, your condo is lovely with a grand view of the golf course.
You made a good decision when you decided to buy there. Lovely area.
I'll NEED your help decorating our new room! PLEASE!
Love, Margo
Annika said…
Margo:
Yes, the fire place is a problem. It needs a make over. What I've been thinking is natural stones. The whole room is hard to deal with, actually.
Of course I'll help you with the Myrtle room!!!
Love!
Annika said…
This comment has been removed by the author.