The other day I was strolling around my “second living room”, aka Barnes and Noble. As you, my dear readers know, I really like that place.
I was walking around with my pumpkin spice latte when I saw a very interesting headline on a magazine.
The headline said:
82 reasons to love Sweden.
Needless to say I just HAD to take a closer look at that magazine.
The cover boy on the magazine was Alexander Skarsgård. He has really made a name for himself here in the US. Much thanks to the HBO-show “True Blood”.
Anyway, I grabbed the magazine, and the name of said magazine is OUT. Yes, it is a gay-magazine. And yes, sure I bought it! Who can resist a headline like THAT!?
And here are some things that the (LOONG) article said about Sweden!
This is how the article starts. Yes, we Swedes can really be proud!!
“ Even before the OUT editorial staff--15 of us--went to Stockholm to celebrate Midsummer’s Eve last June, we knew there was something ineffably cool about a country that could produce Robyn and ABBA, Lisbeth Salander and Pippi Longstocking, Alexander Skarsgard and Björn Borg. And then we got there, and the rest is cliche: Sweden is the coolest, sexiest, most beautiful country in the world. And, since 2009, we’ve been able to get married there, (OK, we’ll allow Brazil has the best beaches and ubermench fellas, but you have to get a visa and aren’t allowed to bring anyone back to your hotel room-for real!).
In the grand scheme of things, Sweden is not a big country-the entire population could roughly fit into New York City-but the nation’s contribution the world is excessively good”
And then I’ll list some random things here.
My opinions are between the brackets.
* Absolut Vodka.
* Eat your herring (the writer loves herring. Yes, he’s American)
* Daniel Couet, the chef at the Stockholm restaurant Villa Godthem (I tell you what, that place IS awesome. The atmosphere there on a Swedish summer evening/night is almost magical).
* The must see Swedish movies:
Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman)
Fucking Åmål (aka Show me love, as the American title wants it)
Let the right one in (you all remember that I went to school with the author of that book. Yes, it is horror)
* Greta Garbo (of course, right)
* August Strindberg
* Björn Borg.
* SOFO--South of Folkungagatan on the South Side in Stockholm.
* The Icehotel in Jukkasjärvi in Lappland, Sweden. (I would NOT mind going there myself and spend a night. SO COOL, literally).
* Tunnbrödsrullar. (THAT, my friends is a thin bread loaded with mashed potatoes, sauages, ketchup, mustard, shrimpsalad and dried onions on top. (I tell you what, it is SUPER GOOD, but maybe not the healthiest thing you can eat. BUT, if you travel to Sweden and go to Swedish fast food joint, do ORDER one. You’ll love it)
* Swedish music. Swedes are writing and producing music for BIG artists in the states and in the world. The Swedish music scene is really out there. Actually more than you can even imagine. Take any popular song and chances are that a Swede has written, or produced, it.
* Fotografiska. A museum in Stockholm, right by the water, concentrating in photo exhibits.
* Volvo (well, yeah)
* IKEA (another, well yeah)
So that was a few of the many things listed! If you live in the US, try to come by the magazine OUT, and buy a copy!
And now on to the weather:
I am sick and tired of the MILD temperatures!
I want it to be cold now, please. I do NOT want temperatures above 15 degrees C, or 55 F, in the the end of November. It is sick and wrong.
Can we please have it around 0-5 degrees now, please. Or, 32-45 on the Fahrenheit scale.
This Swedish import does NOT like IT!!
Anyway, have a good Tuesday! And YAY!!!