Tuesday, December 05, 2006

This Week: Christmas Songs!


This is the Official Christmas Tree of Stockholm...

Now when we finally have reached the month of December it feels appropriate to talk about Christmas music!

Christmas music is such lovely music that you can only listen to but once a year. Oh, I suppose that it could be a good thing, actually. Otherwise the music wouldn't be so special, right? And you would suffer a serious X-mas overload.
Anyway, there is a station here in DC that blast out Christmas music from mid-November until midnight on Christmas Day. They play the same songs over and over again, but I cannot help but listen to that station every single time I am out driving. Here at home I make sure that i have the CD player loaded with Christmas CD's, the same thing with my iPod, the Christmas list is getting played time and again...

Peter is not liking it as much as I do. Whenever he has a chance he changes to another station, another cd etc. Oh well! I can admit that I am obsessed.
So, let's make a list of our favorite Christmas songs. Here are the once that I love! American and English songs today. I promise that I will post my favorite Swedish Christmas songs in a separate post later on this week. I think I can post even more songs on my Swedish list. But here is the American and English list:

¤ Oh, Holy Night...This is probably my number one favorite.
¤ White Christmas....Need I say more?
¤ I'll be home for Christmas...Many sentimental thoughts go to the North when I hear this song.
¤ Winter Wonderland...I know, I know...Kinda' sorta' cheesy, but I still like it.
¤ The Christmas song, (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire) ...I prefer that song sung by Nat King Cole.
¤ Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
¤ Oh, come all ye faithful...Wonderful! Especially sung by a church choir, or by the whole congregation, for that matter.
¤ Let it Snow, Let it Snow...Nice, cheery song!
¤ Last Christmas...If you want to see a video on this one scroll down on this page, and you'll find it. LOVE IT!!!
¤ Driving Home For Christmas...See Above.
¤ Christmas Time is Here...The classic Charlie Brown! I love!!!

I think that is all I can think of for now, but I am sure that I've forgotten a few!
So, what are your favorites?

It is less than two weeks before Karolina and I are heading to Sweden now. Peter will arrive on the Dec, 23. How time flies! AND, how i am NOT ready! I'll have some serious shopping left to do. Not that I mind it, but I'll just have to go Tysons or Dulles Town Center soon, or Reston Town Center for that matter.

It IS the most wonderful time of the year!

Ta-da!

10 comments:

Keith said...

Very good list! Winter Wonderland, despite its cheesiness is on my list, too, along with O Come All Ye Faithful. I also like O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, and Go Tell It on the Mountain. Others have a rock theme including Jingle Bell Rock and Rocking Around the Christmas Tree. Let It Snow is another favorite. Finally, a real "weird" but fun one is The Kinks "Father Christmas." I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of.

Annika said...

Keith:
"Let it snow" is a good song. Indeed!
I remembered another one in the car just now, "Baby it's cold outside"...

Let the list continue...

Anonymous said...

I also love Christams music and I like all the ones you listed here. I also love Windham Hill and Manheim Steamroller Christmas music and I have a few other very peaceful instrumental Christmas cds. Is there anything better than sitting around at night with no lights on but the lights on the tree and listening to the beautiful Christmas music?

Annika said...

Sara:
Yes, you are right. Manheim Steamrollers are good!

I so agree, there is nothing better than x-mas music and candles on a cold nigh AND a x-mas tree! LOVE!!


COME ON, PEOPLE!!! Let the list go ON!!! :-))

Anonymous said...

I love Silver Bells, O' Christmas Tree, Rudolph, Silent Night, The 12 Days of Christmas, all church/choir Christmas music, Harry Connick's "I Thought I saw ole Santa Claus" (and several others on the album), all of the ones on your list -- and pretty much every other Christmas song except "Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer," "Christmas in Washington" -- gag, and Kenny Roger's "Christmas in America" -- double gag.

I ADORE Christmas music and Sam is the same as Peter, always changing the station when he can. I am so sad when the lights and music are put away for the year.

JaCal said...

Yep! Right on spot! They're all on my top list too. I kind of like "Do they know it's Christmas", I was a teenager and loved to see all the artists. And Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmas Time.

My husband turns off the Christmas music too. Mr Boring! It's only four weeks every year. Even if it is the same songs over and over and over again.

Annika said...

Melinda:
True! "Silver Bells" is so beautiful! I like most of the choir music, too!
I agree on "Christmas in America"--awful! I don't hate "Christmas eve in Washington" all that much. And i hate Grandma got run over...GAG. I also don't like the Chipmonks...

Jacal:
I like "Do they know it's Christmas time", too! It does bring back memories!


Guys! What is with men and Christmas music???? They just don't like it. What's WRONG with them?
As Jacal says, it is ONLY four weeks a year! How bad can it be?

Anonymous said...

Vi har helt klart lika smak när det gäller musik, så även julmusik!

Här är det blåst, regn o massor av plusgrader... så du ska nog inte räkna med en vit jul när du kommer till Svedala:-(

Kram

Annika said...

Mie:
Nej, suck...Jag har förstått att det ser dystert ut på väderkanten. Mkt trist.
Vi får glädjas åt julmusik istället

Suzanne said...

I like Joy to the World, O Christmas Tree, Star of Wonder, 12 days of Christmas, Deck the Halls, and all of the other traditional church songs the very best.