Tuesday, November 14, 2006
This Week: Things To Get Before You Turn 40...
Marie-Claire Magazine is the best American magazines for women, or so I think. They always have interesting articles about various topics, they have good fashion advice, Fashion for all wallets AND styles. In general a very good magazine. But, I really thought they were pushing it in the November issue. I still don't know if they mean this to be a joke, or not.
I am 40 years old, and there are so very few things on this list that I've actually got that it is not even funny.
So here it goes, a few things taken straight from the list:
1. "A dead serious piece of timeless clothing. MC recommends: the YSL tux for women, 3,560 dollars"
I Say: What a bargain!!! Right, guys, lets just rush out and get this tux right away...And when will we wear it? AND how often can we wear it? Are we willing to wear it twice? I am sure it feels great to wear and is beautiful, but sorry, it ain't gonna happen.
2. "Fancy luggage (a matched set please!!!) No more schlepping around airports with midcentury Samsonite. MC recommends: Gucci's new Guccissima line. Cost: 3,350"
I say: NO DAMN WAY IN HELL!!! Why would I get a fancy-schamnzy piece of luggage for that price? Then you can probably be pretty damn sure that your luggage will be missing on your next trip to Europe. No, I will go to Target and get a set instead. Works for me!
3. "Enlightened. Go see the Dalai Lama in India"
I say: I'd rather go to Paris. OR I can sit on the western coast of Grytskär in Närpes, Finland or on the island of Gotland in Sweden and be more enlightened than I would be anywhere else. I swear! AND as an extra bonus Grytskär is located within rowing distance from my summer house.
4. "A real watch. MC recommends: The Cartier Roadster. Cost: 3,950."
I say: Sure why not??? I wish! However, it will never, ever happen. I can think about a dozen things that I would get before getting a Cartier watch (even though I secretly want this watch).
5. "A Big-Ass TV. MC recommends: Philip's 50 inch Ambilight"
I say: OK, so yes, I would love to have a kick ass flat screen TV. Just give me the 4000 dollars and I will run out and get it.
6. "Smarty Pants Subscriptions. MC recommends: Foreign Affairs, The American Scholar, The Economist. Looks good on your sofa table, read them too"
I say: If I subscribe to a magazine I will make sure it will be a magazine of my liking. Not something I "should" read at 40. We cannot decide for one another what is "smart" reading, right? And why would I spread a bunch of mags out on my coffee table???
7. "Serious ride, Adieu Budget! MC recommends: The Cadillac XLR roadster for 78,495 dollars"
I say: Screw that! If I am to get a new car it is a Toyota Prius, and not a big fuel consuming car.
8. "A decent cup of coffee. MC recommends: The Illy x1 Francis Francis! Espresso machine for 800 dollars"
I say: Why pay so darn much money for an espresso machine? You can get one from Starbuck's for a lot less. AND who says that the coffee brewed in that machine is so superior?
9. "A destination haircut. Go to Paris or LA or NYC just to get your haircut"
I say: Not likely...I have my girl, Laura, here in Reston. Think I'll keep her...
Good things on the list that I can actually agree on?
Sure, a few:
¤ Start an art collection.
¤ Get a mammogram.
¤ A museum membership.
And that will do it for this week...